Thursday, April 24, 2014

Is Criticism... taboo?

No it's not.


FRIENDS . . . There's a manner and etiquette of giving people constructive criticism. Openly accusing them of them being ignorant is not genuine -- implications matter, by the way,... BUUUT... Alhamdulillah, the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him, the Sahaba, and the Pious and Saints taught us that when people do such things it's for us to recognize our own deficiencies and our susceptibility of falling short. Every single human out there is ignorant about something and is going through a "phase" -- blessed are those who understand. Don't constantly be fanatic about how low life everybody else out there is. And even if you're going to criticize someone, don't speak as if they are mentally unstable and are crazy and say things like, "Bro, you need to calm down", or "That's not how tasawwuf works" or, "Bro, you don't understand, you need to work on yourself and discipline your nafs." I think the only time you can say that is - in a respectful manner of course - is when one is completely new to a certain path but if he/she is advancing - something one should never claim but is healthy to have a feeling of - give them general advice and criticism. Perhaps the corrosion of my own soul reaches others but not myself. #humans

So, that being said, I'm tipping my turban kufi off to all my critics for bringing my own flaws to my attention, something I can't thoroughly examine myself but in the end of the day I'm gonna have a good opinion of my Lord and He will suffice and help me overcome my own defects. Credit of my thinking to Ahmad Billal Samady.


No comments:

Post a Comment